• What are lice?
Head lice are wingless insects that feed exclusively on human blood. These parasites are up to 3 mm long, have 6 legs and one pair of antennae. Their color varies according to the hair color of their host. Their respiratory system consists of a series of holes (spiracles) along the side of the thorax.

• How can you get lice?
Infestation by Pediculus humanis capitis (louse) is universal, because it can affect anyone, regardless of race, sex or socio-economic status. It has been around for centuries; Louis XIV, king of France, had his wig full of lice. Infestations become more acute at the beginning of every school year, and their elimination represents a real challenge. Preschoolers are their favorite hosts, passing them on by direct contact through combs, hats, sweaters and other personal belongings, or lying on the same pillow. This may also happen at any age, more so between 4 and 14.

• How does a louse live in my head?
Lice are usually found around the temples, neck and behind the ears, but can be anywhere in the head. They feed exclusively on human blood, and can live between 1 to 2 months on the scalp, or 24 hours o the head. Each female can lay around 6 eggs per day, which they do close to the scalp. Eggs (nits) are wrapped in a kind of glue that sticks to the hair. They hatch after a week and grow into adults in approximately 10 days.

• What is the real danger of lice?
Although lice do not transmit any disease, the itching caused by them is sometimes so intense that the child can scratch and tear his skin, giving way to infections and swelling of the lymph caused by bacteria. Some children crumple their little heads with combs, brushes, pencils or their fingernails constantly, which interferes with their daily activities, relating this with attention defficit, insomnia, and other conduct disorders. Many parents tend to move away from them and do not allow much cuddling, for fear of getting lice. All this affects the family balance and makes parents use pesticides and potentially toxic products on their children.

• Why are other products toxic for health?
Nowadays, parents and teachers face a difficult time dealing with lice epidemics, as many of the commonly used pediculicides (lindane, carbaryl, pyrethrins, malathion and other poisons), have become less effective due to the resistance developed by the insect to these products. These mutant insects are known today as “super lice”. On the other hand, a higher number of secondary effects have been reported in patients treated with these pesticides, ranging from allergies, asthma and dermatitis, to seizures, endocrine and immunological disruption, even cancer.

• What is the secret of LOP Lotion?
LOP Lotion works under the principles of suffocation and dehydration. Lice have a series of holes (spiracles) along the side of the thorax that allow air into the respiratory system. Mineral oil obstructs the louse’s respiratory system, killing lice as their spiracles get clogged up. Natrum muriaticum dehydrates the eggs (nits), drying them out.

• What preventive measures should I take during and after using LOP?
Once you start the treatment, linens should be changed, and you should vacuum sofas and cushions around the house; lice can survive for 24 hours off the scalp, and re-infestation may occur. Combs and brushes should be washed in hot water. Children should be taught not to share hats and other garments, and girls should use ponytails.

• How do I use LOP lotion?
Shake well and apply LOP lotion on dry hair. Make sure to soak the whole scalp to the tips of the hair. Let stand
 for 20 minutes. Untangle with a regular comb and then use a lice comb to remove dead insects and nits. Wash hair twice with your regular shampoo and rinse well each time. Repeat application every 3 days during 2 weeks, or until there are no nits. Do not forget to wash combs, hairbrushes and linens with hot water.

Copyright 2015, Mannel USA LLC. All rights reserved.